Monday, August 2, 2010

for the love of my husband.

how far is my pride
willing to go for a man?

I was talking to my mother on gchat the other day and smack-dab in the middle of our conversation, she cuts me off and says, "sorry g2g ttyl!" (yes, my mom is up-to-date with the online lingo). Before she hurriedly signs off, I ask her, "where are you going?!" and she replies with "daddy is home! g2g make dinner!" Geez-louise.

My family is pretty traditional in the sense that my daddy does not really do much around the house. He works hard and long at the office and comes home, changes his clothes, and plops himself down on the couch to watch ESPN/Golf Channel. I've seen fathers do laundry, do the dishes, even wipe floors, but nope! Not my dad. He takes out the trash occasionally, does all the outside grilling, assembles/disassembles some furniture from time-to-time, but other than that, he doesn't really do much around the house. Now, that's not to say that he is lazy and unhelpful-he does whatever my mom asks him to do (albeit complaining the entire time), but rarely willingly does any chores around the house. Mommy does traditional "mommy duties" and daddy does the traditional "daddy duties."

When I was younger, I told myself that I won't ever be the ideal housewife; I could never do what my mother does. I want to have a career, make my own money, be independent, have a housekeeper and not do all the cooking and cleaning like a stereotypical housewife does. Doesn't the majority of 21st century young girls have this mentality?

Lately, my sentiments about the whole housewife thing has changed everso slightly.

Will I too, one day, be able to drop everything I'm doing to go cook my husband a meal?

Highly doubtful, but who knows. If a woman can change a man, a man could definitely change a woman.

Cheers,

Cheryl

No comments:

Post a Comment