Friday, August 27, 2010

all day every day.

swag in china.
check it out: taekim.tumblr.com

I'm a cutter. No, I don't cut myself, but I cut people. Not literally, with a knife or something, but I cut them out of my life. If I find you necessary for my well-being, I'll make sure I keep you around, but if you're not, I'll cut you. Wow, that sounds horribly morbid.

Anyway, I've cut out quite a few people from my life who were once important and close to me. It's never an easy process (and sometimes I do it unintentionally) but it's usually warranted. Apart from my family, however, there is one constant in my life (person, that is) that I just never was able to and never will cut out. His name is Terrence Intae Kim and he is truly my best friend. He may deny it or not admit it, but deep down he knows I am his best friend too.

I met Terrence way back in the 4th grade or so at Fort Lee TaeKwonDo. I think I kicked his ass sparring and he may have cried, but it's a touchy subject so we don't discuss it in public. Then we met again in the 5th grade at Upper School in Englewood Cliffs, NJ. Our friendship blossomed and grew and classmates in our 5th grade class often told us we were like a married couple. I was taller than him then and that's also a touchy subject. I moved to Korea in the 7th grade and he moved to California. We kept in minimal touch during that time and I moved back to the States in the middle of my freshman year of high school. Lo' and behold, Terrence moved from California to my town during junior year and we were reunited. This time, he had a good 6 inches on me. Damnit. Our friendship bloomed further throughout high school and we kept in consistent contact throughout college and post-college as well.

I can confidently say that he is one person who I truly vibe with and I am just at complete peace with myself when I am talking to him. I can tell him anything and talk to him about everything and instantly he will solve my once grandiose problems with just a few words. He'll tell me like it is and isn't afraid to be honest with me. Just now, I was being a dumb psycho girl, and he says simply, "nah, relax, not worth it" and "just let it be" and "chill out" and BAM, it's a done deal; I am chilled out.

I don't really know how or why he has the effect he does on me, but for whatever reason, Terrence is the one person who always makes me feel better about any situation. He is rarely stressed out or freaking out and is quite possibly the "chillest," most down-to-earth kid I know. He drives me crazy at times and is insanely sarcastic and blunt but I love him for that. The dude is across the globe in China, swaggin' it out, but I take comfort in knowing that our friendship has lasted this long throughout multiple long-distance conversations and that everything will be exactly the same when he returns.

If I had to choose a "Man-of-Honor" at my wedding, it'd be Terrence Intae Kim.

Gawd, I miss him.

Cheers,

Cheryl

1 comment:

  1. haha "that's touchy". =D this entry made me smile that's a good story

    nothing wrong w/ a man of honor =P

    ReplyDelete