Wednesday, August 25, 2010

non-american writing.

the everso eloquent russians
& the swedes.

I recently finished reading the first installment of Stieg Larsson's Millenium Trilogy, The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo and have started on the second, The Girl who Played with Fire. I must applaud Larsson on the wonderfully intricate plot and I find it a damn shame that I can't read the original Swedish version of the novels. I get anxious at the thought of losing the author's original intent or creative spirit in telling his story, so I re-read the English over and over to make sure I've fully grasped the direction in which he is taking his readers (which is probably why it took light-years for me to finish the book; my apologies to everyone who's been wanting to borrow it). I desperately need to learn a new lanuage. Or several.

That being said, another book I've been meaning to read by another non-American novelist is Lolita, by Vladimir Nabokov. His book was written in English, I believe, and later translated into Russian, so I'm hoping I don't miss out on any linguistically detailed aspects of his story.

"I confess, I do not believe in time." -Nabokov

He knows wsup.

Cheers,

Cheryl

No comments:

Post a Comment