Wednesday, August 25, 2010

missed connections.

perhaps,
i've had some too?

Craigslist is probably the most visited site after Facebook and Google. I mean, who doesn't love Craig's list of gadgets, jobs, housing and misc services? I owe Craig a lot; he even helped me find my new apartment! Craig even gives us a hand in finding true love. The "Missed Connections" section under the Personals is one of my absolute favorite places to go on the web when I am bored, in need of a cute pick-me-up, or feeling stalkerish. Some posts are put up by insecure perverts in need of a cheap dirty laugh (or some other form of perverse satisfaction), but others are posted by innocent hopefuls genuinely wishing they could find the "tall brunette in purple dress on Q train at 9am today." The romantic in me hopes some of these brave folk find the woman/man they're looking for...

Here are some of my recent favorites:

"Girl you tiny as hell... and by tiny, I mean cute. Sincerely, The Giant who got off at Flushing Ave."

"You sneezed on 13th St near 6th Ave, I smiled. I wanted to say, "Gesundheit," but was thrown off guard by how adorable you were. So in our short amount of time, I could only muster a smile. Hope you have a fantastic Tuesday and aren't catching a cold."

"...was going to ask your name... instead, forgot my own..."

"breezy, brief.. but I do miss you."

"This is a stretch but I saw you in the elevator and we chatted about yellow paint. Can I take you to a movie?"

"We got off together and walked as far as 59th, then I lost you. I should have said something, but all I could do was smile."

"You said 'hello' and I said 'good'... I was nervous and then you walked and never turned back. I wanted to talk but you were gone..... Let's get together for a coffee?"

Man. I was getting the butterflies myself while typing these out! How unbelievably romantic are some of these people? I like to think that maybe someone out there posted one about me once. I think I've had one or two of these moments on a subway or a street corner somewhere. Haven't you? And even if I don't remember the connection, it's nice to think that you gave someone (even if only for that moment) a bit of hope and the chance to muster up enough courage to expose themselves publicly like that. The raw, honest, vulnerability of these people is truly remarkable. I mean, honestly, the cynic in me wants to laugh at how ridiculous and perhaps cowardly these people are, sitting behind their monitors confessing their feelings as opposed to actively pursuing their love interests, but at the end of the day, I am a girl and girls love this stuff (take notes, men). You know, when two people have a connection, no matter how random the location or circumstances are, I'm sure they'd know and I'm sure they'd feel it. Humans thrive on emotion and first impression; who's to say these people haven't experienced love at first sight?

My boyfriend and I have been together for about half a year now and while I love him and am still quite breathless at the thought and sight of him, I know those beginning butterflies and "what if" moments won't come back. I can only smile at the memory of them and be satisfied knowing that I too, once had dizzying spells at his every word, smile, sneeze, glance, and touch.

Sometimes I'll imagine the scene playing out in my head of some of these posts. A cute short film should be made taking bits and pieces from the Missed Connections section, no?

I'd definitely watch it.

Cheers,

Cheryl

No comments:

Post a Comment