Thursday, July 22, 2010

quick thought #12.

I have always, always, for the past 23 years, known it to be "crept up" and not "cropped up."

When something or someone suddenly appears or suddenly comes up, I've always used the phrase, "crept up."

Ex1) "OMG, his birthday totally crept up on me; I didn't even get him a gift!"
Ex2) "I didn't see her coming; she crept up out of nowhere!"

Or if you wanna get more fancy,

Ex3) "The blistering sun crept up on the oblivious snowmen and devoured them whole."

Anyway, lately, I have been seeing the phrase "cropped up" used in the same way in various blogs, the book I'm reading, and even the NYTimes!

When did this change happen?! Why was I not alerted?! Or have I been using the incorrect phrase for the past 23 years?!

I am thoroughly confused.

No comments:

Post a Comment