Wednesday, July 21, 2010

boys: a collection, pt. 2

welcome back.

I left you off with Middle School BF aka "Bottle One." We'll continue our journey with High School Boyfriend #1.

3) High School Boyfriend #1: There is not too much to say about this one actually. I was new to my high school, fresh off the boat from Korea, and didn't have many friends. High School BF #1 was one of the, if not the most, popular guys in my grade (his crew of friends even named themselves after him), and he let it be known that he thought the new girl (lil' ole me) was cute. I first met him in Spanish class and thought he was one of those super KP, full-of-crap types. I got to know him, however, and he turned out to be the funniest kid ever. He asked me out during lunch one day and I said "yes," to which he replied, "really?! thank you!" He had braces and a mole on his lip at the time (yes, he got them BOTH removed (fyi: this description makes him sound disgusting, but he's really not)) but he picked me up and walked me to class every day and was really quite sweet. He told me he loved me after a day or two of dating and I told him to shut up and never say that again. I was his first GF so I was more experienced in the love department, I guess. I broke it off after about three months, probably because I was still hung up on BF #2, but we remained friends. He is, surprisingly, actually the only BF that I sometimes wonder, "what if...?" about.

4) High School Boyfriend #2: The "church oppa." Man. I'm sure a lot of once young, Korean, youth group attending, Christian girls have had one of these. Mine was new to our youth group his Senior year in high school, but somehow managed to win over the hearts of our youth group members and secured the YG President spot within a month of attending our church. I was a Sophomore and three years younger than him. The flirting started at a retreat (surprise surprise) and another church oppa actually sort-of hooked us up. He asked me out on the playground. He was sweet and we dated for almost a year, then broke-up because he went off to college and it just wasn't working out. He lives in Chicago now but still visits our church from time to time.

5) High School Flings #1 & #2: I'm just gonna bunch these fellas up. These guys were both dudes in the "crew" that I mentioned BF #3 being the "leader" of. HS Fling #1 was actually someone I could've potentially really dated, but fate didn't have it that way, I guess. I don't really remember what went wrong..... anyway. He and I really really clicked and he probably doesn't know it, but the conversations and memories I had with him are, to this day, some of my fondest memories of High School. He is also someone I kind of have a soft spot for; he was really just a thoughtful, witty, and genuinely awesome and talented person. I don't see HS Fling #1 very often, but I wish we were still close friends. HS Fling #2 was just random and dumb. I am still good friends with him so I'm sorry to say this, but I don't really remember much except him wearing way too much Aqua Di Gio all the time. Oh, actually, my then-best friend and I had a huge falling-out, sort of indirectly because of him, but that was dumb too. It was cute and fun while it lasted and that's pretty much it. Sorry HS Fling #2! :(

6) College Boyfriend: I dated one guy all throughout college and it was the biggest waste of time and a huge mistake. Okay, that's really harsh. I believe I've blogged about him before but basically, I was blinded by something and just couldn't snap out of it quickly enough. It was an exceptionally tumultuous relationship that ended in the most explosive, emotional, and dramatic way. He is a good person and really treated me like a queen, but there were just too many complicated issues in his life. I think I'm still coming to terms with what happened between me and him, but I'm happy to say that I'm almost at a place where I can wish him the best and hope he does the same for me.

7) Post-College Boyfriend: This is my current boyfriend (and the bartender that I've mentioned in previous posts). All I can say is that he is the most wonderful man I have ever known (after my daddy, of course). Everyday, I reveal a new layer of him, a new side that I love even more than the previous and everyday, I hope it never ends. I'm scared and excited to see what the future holds in store for us, but I am also just thoroughly enjoying the love and affection he pours out on me in the present. So cheesy, so cliche, I know, but he is truly perfect. I still pinch myself every morning to make sure that it wasn't all a dream and that he is really, truly, mine.

Well, there you have it. Cheryl's collection of boys. What I thought might be a frivolous and slightly pointless entry really had me smiling, chuckling, even tearing at various moments while I typed. Oh, the memories...

Here's to the beauty of recollection.

Cheers,

Cheryl

No comments:

Post a Comment