Tuesday, March 8, 2011

jam-free guarantee.

so what happens when it jams?

I clicked "new post" to begin writing a blog entry, not because I had another thought to jot down, but only because my blog's been abandoned for about a week now and simply put, I felt bad.  Then, a co-worker started freaking out a few cubicles down from me, about how her "jam-free guarantee" stapler was jammed.  At first I wanted to tell her to shut up and call Staples, until the pretty hilarious irony of the situation hit me.

What makes anything guaranteed?  Why bother with guarantees?  If it's "guaranteed or your money back," you're basically buying a product with an insurance policy.  Anything that needs insurance is something you should reconsider.  Red flag, for sure.  I mean, of course everyone has 100% faith in anything they're trying to sell for a quick buck or two, leading them to add the easy "guaranteed or your money back!" line at the end of their lengthy infomercial.  My question is, do they employ this not-too-clever marketing ploy knowing their product sucks and will ultimately fail to up-keep the guarantee or do they do this because they geuinely believe in the everlasting powers of what they're trying to sell? 

I promise I'll be by your side forever.  I guarantee you'll love this restaurant.  I swear I've never said anything bad about you behind your back.  I just want you to believe what I am saying.  Maybe not forever, but in this very moment, where I am speaking using only my mouth and not my head because I just really need you to believe me, I am going to employ words of all sorts of extremity (no, not an arm or a leg) just to have you believe me for a second.

We are so eager to have people believe our every word and so quick to assume they'll listen and eventually nod in fervent agreement, that we don't stop to think about the chances of actually having to give them their money back when the situation goes awry and the stapler jams (was that a run-on sentence?).  What if they don't want their money back?  What if they just wanted you to keep your promise of "jam-free guarantee"?  They took a chance when they believed you.  Rarely do they want that chance given back; they just want you to keep your promise.  You know, money is an easy one.  Just fork that cash on over and the transaction is done with only the hope of satisfaction left with both parties.  But is it possible to give back trust or respect or love or another chance?

A few recent situations I got myself into proved to me that a few good relationships, no matter deep or shallow or in-between, have this powerful possibility.  The outcome is left to be seen.

This post was a pretty awful attempt at illustrating what, in my mind, is a super intricate knot of thoughts.  Damn.  One thing's for sure, I don't want people putting up mental red flags when I speak to them about something I'm trying to be completely truthful about...

Cheers,

Cheryl

1 comment: