Wednesday, November 24, 2010

nope, don't remember.

a valid excuse, in my book.

So, have you ever heard of the dude who killed his mother-in-law and wife in his sleep? Let me clarify-- a study I did in one of my psychology courses during college was on a gentleman who sleep-walked to his garage then sleep-drove to his mother-in-law's house, stabbed her to death, then sleep-drove back to his house and stabbed his wife to death then went back to bed. He was tried in court for homocide but the case didn't hold up because psychologists and his lawyers were able to prove that he did all of this in his sleep, thus, had neither the intention to kill nor any recollection of the night's events.

I tell this story because there have been many instances where I would do or say things in my slumber and not remember them at all. Well, I'm not exactly completely in my deepest REM cycle but close enough I guess. For example, apparently, early this morning I spoke to both my father and my boyfriend on the phone and exchanged a substantial amount of chatter. At 1pm today, my father brought something up that he said and I have no recollection of it. Now that they mention it, I vaguely remember the conversation being held but by no means can I give an accurate account of what was said. I've also responded in full sentences to questions asked by my roommates and woke up not remembering having had any interaction with them.

I'm not saying I'm going to go out and kill people in my sleep (you have to be all sorts of messed up to be able to do that and not wake up in the middle of it) but this sort of slumber-behavior, if you will, scares me. I feel like I'll get into a lot of trouble one day for saying/doing something in a less than conscious state that I won't remember... but I guess if the courts will excuse a murder, my friends and family will find it in their hearts to excuse me as well.

On that note, Happy Thanksgiving all; don't do anything stupid in your food-coma state.

Cheers,

Cheryl

No comments:

Post a Comment