Friday, June 26, 2009

she's fly effortlessly.

my man ne-yo has it all wrong.

The song "Miss Independent," by r&b artist Ne-Yo, was playing at a bar I was at last night. For whatever reason, my subconscious ingested the line "she's fly effortlessly" and would not let it go. Until I blogged about it, of course.

Let me enlighten all of my male readers (if you exist), and help my female readers face the unforgiving truth. Ladies, let's be honest for a minute here, we are not fly effortlessly. If you're reading this and thinking, "nuh-uh, what is she talking about, I don't wear make-up, I don't dye my hair, I don't dress-up, shoot, I don't even look in the MIRROR before leaving my house!" Girl, YOU'RE LYING.

99.9% of women alter their physical appearance in a more appealing way for their own self-esteem, for the men they hope to attract, and the women they hope to challenge. If only men knew of the effort my friends and I made 2 hours prior to venturing out into the night, they would treat us like porcelain dolls--not barbies.

All that baloney about fresh-facedness and natural glow that you read in magazines takes just as much effort--if not more--as painting your face with $70 make-up products. Today, "looking effortless" is, in and of itself, a crapload of effort. I'll admit though, there are some women who can roll out of bed after eating ramyun the night before looking like the cat's meow. However, it is usually the lucky men who bed them that make this verdict. I'm pretty sure most women don't wake up, look in the mirror and think, "I am just looking all kinds of fly today!" No, it is the boyfriend or husband who says, "My girlfriend looks the best when she wakes up in the morning." Dude, let me tell you something, that's not your girl looking fly, that's called being in love.

If you really are in the .01% of women this post does not pertain to (more specifically, if you look like a.jolie, a.lima, a.judd, r.mcadams, or n.portman), I am jealous.

Ne-yo, go re-write that song. Gabrielle Union looked fly as hell in your video, but she also had a team of 20 somewhat make-up artists and hairstylists behind her "effortless" look.

Cheers,

Cheryl

PS: Don't get me wrong; I'm a confident girl. I think I look pretty freaking hot 23.5/7 but I also wouldn't be caught dead going out without mascara and heels.

2 comments:

  1. You're right. there was no 'follow this blog' on my page. I'm not too familiar with this whole general theme of technology.. haha. That makes me really useful in the 21st century.
    I agree, 'effortless' isn't so effortless as it seems. Or maybe it's because you're so good at something, and it looks easy. e.g. 'how'd you get your hair like that?' 'it's easy, i just put it up' uhhh, no you didn't. haha :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. omg thats so funny cheryl! i was listening to this song a few days ago and i got caught up on the same line! "fly effortlessly" my arse. But I figured that he might have been referring to her "effortless" confidence. Thinking of it that way made me put this idea to rest- because we all know ppl aren't fly by default. But some people do make it look easy to look flawless.

    ReplyDelete