Tuesday, October 26, 2010

umeboshi & ikura.

a ball of rice's best friend.

When I was in elementary school, I had a number of best friends. My first best friend was Korean, my second was Japanese, and my third was Indian. I'll talk about the first and third ones later; we're focusing on the second one today. Her name was Yuko Matsuki and she had a horrible twitching problem. It wasn't like she had Tourettes or anything, she just did some strange spasms here and there.

Anyway, I used to go over her house a whole lot because she would give me cute Japanese stickers and candies and such but most importantly, her mother would make us these amazing Japanese rice balls with bits of umeboshi all over (Japanese plum). OMG so good. Yuko used to pack these things for lunch and being the fatass I am, I used to steal them from her acting like I felt bad- "ooo~ are you surre...you really don't have to...*YOINK*..." and I'd swipe those bad boys and eat 'em in one salivating bite. To this day, umeboshi and Yuko have a special place in my heart.

This isn't what Yuko's mom's riceballs looked like but you get the idea.

Ikua (salmon roe) is also a favorite of mine.
If there is one of these on a sushi platter, you don't get to eat it. I do.

When 2 become 1~~~ Behold: Heaven in a riceball.

GAH so simple yet SO TASTY! Japanese know their balls... of rice.

Cheers,

Cheryl

No comments:

Post a Comment