Wednesday, September 29, 2010

right to vote.

homeless people have rights too.

Recently, I was registering to vote with my new NYC address and as I looked down at the application, I noticed something interesting.

A section of the application reads, "If you live in a rural area but do not have a street number, or if you have no address, please show on the map where you live." This statement was followed by a little empty map diagram where you can fill in street names and put an "X" near your approximate location.

I thought this was great. Now, the homeless man sprawled out in K-Town can vote too! He'll just have to fill in "32nd Street and 5th Avenue" and put an "X" by the little corner he occupies next to CVS. I didn't really understand the purpose of this portion of the application, so I figured the government just wanted to let all the homeless women and men know that just because they haven't been provided with food or shelter, does not mean that they have been deprived of their right to vote too. How thoughtful!

Many thanks on behalf of all my homeless friends.

Cheers,

Cheryl

No comments:

Post a Comment