Tuesday, July 21, 2009

lingers on me now.

i associate everything and everyone with a smell.
every pungent, aromatic, crisp, and savory scent
lingers on me, with me, within me.

I am a proud owner of what's called a "cyworld." As you can assume from the name, this is an internet website, originating from the motherland, where you can create a mini-homepage (nicknamed a "mini-hompy") complete with a gallery of pictures, a diary, a jukebox, a visitor's page, and even a little avatar of yourself that you can dress up! It's the best online social site I've ever come across--it's really too bad America hasn't caught on to all the hype.

Anyway, when I first opened up my cyworld, I was excited to explore all the ways through which I could let my "ihl-chon"s (cyworld friends-concept similar to that of Myspace friends) know all about me. I was eager to make my cyworld the ultimate queen of cyworlds in content, looks, and essence. To accomplish this, I would have to check out the competition. While visiting other people's mini-hompys, I realized people did this thing where they would upload an abstract picture (supposedly representing themselves) and beneath the picture, they wrote a list of phrases and words that described them. I saw this and figured, why not? So I searched google and daum and some other search engines until I found the quintessential image of Cheryl Kim's being. I won't reveal what that picture was here.

Following the paradigm set by my fellow cyworld-ers, I started to jot down clever little terms that captured who I was (rather, who I wanted my digital followers think I was). Among these phrases, which included things such as "pho" and "sexy marc jacobs" and "long showers," and "broadway shows," and "toes in the sand," I had written "smelling the world." I was in 10th or 11th grade when I wrote this so I'm not quite sure what I was thinking then in reference to these three words. Today, as a 22-year-old and in grade infinity, I want to give my 16-year-old self a pat on the back. "Smelling the world" is the essence of Cheryl Kim.

I smell everything. My parents always yell at me for sniffing at my food before I take a bite. I sniff new clothes as soon as I bring them home. I sniff all shampoos and bodywashes thoroughly before I purchase them. It took me 3 years to find a new signature scent. If someone near me smells good, I'll make an effort to go to them or have them come to me to sniff them out. No object within my vicinity leaves unsniffed. When Carrie said she loved the smell of old library books in the SATC Movie, I completely knew what she was talking about (I know, I know, another SATC reference.. I love her, what can I tell ya?). If I've smelled you before, I will most likely associate your presence with that particular smell every single time I see you. I will most likely anticipate your smell even before you come near me. If I remember you smelling like sweet honey, I will probably take a few steps towards you. If I remember you smelling like crap, I will most likely take a step away even before you get within 10 feet of me.

Almost everything has a highly distinctive smell and I appreciate all these smells--good or bad. I know my dog's poo is going to smell, but I'll sniff it out anyway. I know my tutee's breath stinks, but I'll see if it smells anyway. I just can't help it. All smells are important to me because each smell is a memory. Each smell is a person, a thing, a thought. I have to know what everything smells like; regretting comes after the fact. Even if I can't verbalize to you what something smells like, rest assured that I will have the smell in my head.

If I tell you you smell like something or someone, take it for truth. If I tell you something smells like something or someone, take it for truth. If I smell something once, it lingers with me and on me for a very, very long time.

The strongest out of the 5; my sense of smell cannot be beat.

Cheers,

Cheryl

No comments:

Post a Comment